Quilting is just as popular as embroidery. I love making my own quilts as gifts for friends and family and I think you will too.
Read on to find the best quilting sewing machine to get you started.
Best Quilting Sewing Machine: Quick Overview
|Brother HC1850||Brother PQ1500SL||Singer 7469Q|
|Check price||Check price||Check price|
What you should be looking for
A quilting machine is just a sewing machine with certain features. While some features are not compulsory, all of them will make your quilting easier and more enjoyable.
When choosing a quilting machine the features you will want to look out for are:
- Extendable table to support larger quilts.
- Wider “harp” or throat area.
- Knee lever for greater precision control.
- Programmable drop feeds make quilting much easier.
- A range of built-in quilting stitches. (more of a benefit for beginners)
Take a quick glance at any online retailer and you will see just how many different quilting machines there are. So which one is best for you?
Well worry not, I have chosen my top three favorite machines and I will let you know why I think these are the best quilting sewing machines on the market.
Regulars to my website will not be surprised in the least to find a Brother machine in my top three recommendations. As with all Brother products the HC1850 is a fantastic machine that is more than capable of any task asked of it.
Before we even get to the quilting functions it is worth to note the HC850 is an accomplished sewing machine in its own right. Containing many features you would expect to find in a much more expensive unit. At under $200 this Brother machine is well worth the asking price.
With over 130 built-in stitch functions you will never be short of the stitch that you need. Over 90 of these stitches are decorative in function allowing for greater creativity in your designs. You will also be pleased to note there are 14 built-in quilting stitch functions.
The benefits for quilters don’t end at the amount of stitches on offer. The Brother HC1850 comes with an extra wide quilting table for those larger products and a spring action quilting foot for a professional finish to your designs.
To top this off, the drop feed system allows for free-motion quilting. This gives you even more freedom with your quilting projects, all good quilting machines will have this feature.
My sister-in-law owns this machine and I have personally used it for quilting myself. It’s a joy to use, there is no other way to put it. Great for beginners and intermediate users, there is something for everyone.
- The same great build quality you expect from all Brother products.
- 130 built-in stitches.
- 14 quilting stitch functions.
- Easy threading system.
- Detachable, wide quilting table.
- Includes spring-action quilting foot.
- LED lit workspace is perfect for working on darker fabrics.
- Large backlit LCD screen.
- Lightweight for ease of transport.
- Allows free-motion quilting.
- Comes with an excellent instructional DVD.
- The attached quilting table can rattle sometimes.
- No knee lifter means adjusting your work can be fiddly.
|Lowest price for: Brother HC1850|
When looking to take your quilting to the next level it is time to look at the higher end machines. The Brother PQ1500SL is more than just your usual hobbyists machine. With its wide range of features this machine is perfect for advanced users and professionals alike.
Before we even get onto its wealth of quilting functions it worth pointing out that this machine is, just like the Brother HC1850, an excellent sewing machine in its own right. Capable of professional standard stitching at up to 1500 stitches per minute.
Auto thread trimmers and needle positioners with easy needle threading all help to make setting up this machine a simple and fast exercise.
No fabric is too tough for this amazing machine, and with its oversize throat area large quilts present no problem, even when bunched up or adding batting. Make no mistake this machine is a quilters dream.
If you are looking for a commercial standard machine for under a $1000 then this is what you should buy. The PQ1500 comes complete with an adjustable pin feed system and 4 feed dog settings that give you complete fabric control.
On top of all these features, the knee lifter and oversize bed extension table means that a quilter has all they need to make professional standard quilts with minimum fuss. All at a speed that is suitable for a commercial enterprise.
- Keeps to the usual high standard of Brother machines.
- Variable sewing speeds up to 1500 stitches per minute.
- Suitable for advanced hobbyists and commercial use.
- 12×18” extension table supports larger projects.
- Brightly lit work space.
- Knee lever allows you to adjust your piece without taking your hands of the work.
- Large “harp” or throat area.
- Multiple included feet.
- Automatic threading system.
- 4 drop feed dog control.
- Only suitable for for advanced users.
- Price may be prohibitive for some.
|Lowest price for: Brother PQ1500SL|
Singer 7469Q Confidence Quilter
Any top three list wouldn’t be complete without a Singer product. I have decided to choose a machine that is a bit of an all-rounder. Great for beginners and skilled sewers alike the Singer 7469Q comes with a range of quilting features that are sure to interest any hobbyist.
When you buy Singer you expect a certain level of quality and this machine does not disappoint. Its sturdy metal frame and tough exterior means that this is one purchase that won’t be getting sent back for repairs any time soon.
With an easy thread system and drop-and-sew bobbin mechanism, getting set up and ready to sew has never been easier. With a little practise getting set up will take you under five minutes. This means more time to enjoy your hobby and less time with the annoying fiddly bits.
The singer 7469Q comes with 98 built-in stitches that are perfect for a wide-range of projects. And when it comes to quilters you will not be disappointed. The programmable up/down drop feed makes quilting much less complicated and allows you more freedom in your designs.
The extension table is perfect for larger projects and with the 4 included speciality feet you will be quilting with the best of them in no time at all.
One of my favorite features of the Confidence Quilter is the adjustable stitch length and width which allows for greater customization for whatever project you happen to be working on.
- Excellent build quality from Singer.
- Great for beginners.
- Cheap price without sacrificing quality or functionality.
- Automatic needle threader.
- Drop-and-sew bobbin system.
- 98 built-in stitches.
- Programmable up/down drop feed.
- Large extension table perfect for quilting jobs.
- Adjustable stitch width and length.
- Comes with multiple different quilting feet.
- Throat length could be larger.
- Needle threader sometimes sticks.
|Lowest price for: Singer 7469Q|
Best quilting sewing machine: Final Thoughts
Choosing a “best of” from these three machines is a difficult decision. For the advanced quilter or the commercial operator the Brother PQ1500SL is easily the best choice. Its huge range of features and its professional standard finish puts it clearly in the lead.
For the home user either of the other two machines will suit you just fine. Simple to use and capable of finishing to a high standard, they are great for those just starting out in the world of quilting.
It definitely deserves the title of best quilting sewing machine.
I hope my reviews have made your decision a little easier and I am sure you will have as much fun as I do when making quilts 🙂